The Rising Leadership Academy is a free two-day networking and career readiness opportunity for college students and recent graduates with disabilities. This academy takes place in conjunction with the USBLN Annual Conference, the nation’s premier business-to-business conference on disability inclusion throughout the enterprise. During the Rising Leadership Academy, students will experience cutting-edge educational sessions and exciting interactive programming with high-profile speakers. Students will also participate in numerous networking opportunities, including exclusive facilitated networking sessions that connect Rising Leaders to representatives from USBLN member companies/businesses. Check out the descriptions for two signature activities during the Rising Leadership Academy:
Technology Innovation Lab: Hosted by The Boeing Company, The Technology Innovation Lab will enable Rising Leaders to learn about the important role that universal design plays in our everyday lives and explore the skills that can help them solve challenges in the workplace by designing innovative new products or services that promote disability inclusion. This real-world, team-based environment encourages cross-disability collaboration towards solving employment challenges. The Rising Leaders are split into approximately 5-6 teams and each team creates a project to address accessibility in the workplace. The Rising Leaders Advisory Council and volunteers from the USBLN’s corporate partners serve as Mentors to offer guidance to the teams and provide feedback on their proposed project designs and approaches. The Technology Innovation Lab will conclude with the teams’ pitching their ideas to conference participants for a chance to win prizes during the Rising Leaders Plenary.
Rising Leaders Matchmaking Session: During this one-on-one speed networking session, recruiters from approximately 50 USBLN corporate partners will be matched to Rising Leaders who possess the field of study, educational background, and/or experience each company is seeking in potential job applicants. This session is an opportunity for students to learn about the opportunities available in a variety of companies, and an opportunity for students to make an impression with recruiters.
2018 Recruitment Opportunities, including access to the Resume Database is now available! Click here: http://usbln.org/2018recruitmentopportunities/
For more information about the 2019 Rising Leadership Academy, please check back to this website in September 2018.
Commonly Asked Questions:
- What are the dates for the 2018 Rising Leadership Academy?
- The Rising Leadership Academy and the USBLN Conference dates are July 7th through July 12th, 2018.
- Can I view the agenda for the Rising Leadership Academy and the USBLN Conference?
- As soon as the agenda is finalized and published, it can be found here. http://conference.usbln.org/2018_conference/agenda/
- Do I have to have a disability to participate in the Academy?
- Yes. The USBLN is a cross-disability organization that promotes opportunities for people with all types of disabilities.
- What does it cost to attend?
- NOTHING! Your time, attention, commitment and enthusiasm are all that’s needed. The USBLN will work with corporate sponsors and state vocational rehabilitation agencies (if you have a VR counselor) to fund conference fees and travel expenses.
- What are the benefits in participating in the RLA?
- During the Rising Leadership Academy, students will experience cutting-edge educational sessions and exciting interactive programming with high-profile speakers. Students will also participate in numerous networking opportunities, including exclusive facilitated networking sessions that connect Rising Leaders to representatives from USBLN member companies/businesses. Finally, participants will learn more about career opportunities in your field of interest and network with employers to learn about their recruiting process and available job opportunities.
- Will I get a job by participating in the Rising Leadership Academy
- Potentially. Some of the USBLN corporate partners host on-site interviews and follow up with students after the Matchmaking Session. The primary purpose of the Rising Leadership Academy is to strengthen students professional skills and expand their network into the private sector. However, there are opportunities to leave the conference with a job offer.
- How does someone apply to attend the conference?
- The USBLN is no longer accepting applications for the 2018 Rising Leadership Academy. Please check back in the Fall of 2018 to participate in the 2019 Rising Leadership Academy and the USBLN Annual Conference.
- Will I be able to connect to other students with disabilities in this program?
- Yes. The Rising Leadership Academy will host at least 100 students with disabilities from across the country.